Doubled pie dough recipe of your choosing
1 egg, beaten for wash
1 pound blackberries
⅓ cup honey or agave
4 teaspoons lemon juice
¼ cup cold water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
⅓ cup raw sugar (or honey, if preferred)
1 large egg yolk
2–3 drops Lavender Vitality Oil
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add blackberries, ⅓ cup honey, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, stirring often to avoid scorching.
- In a jar or cup, mix together ¼ cup cold water and the cornstarch. As the berry mixture begins to simmer, slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture in.
- Reduce heat to low. Continue cooking the mixture, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. The berries should begin to break down, the mixed-in cornstarch turn clear, and the mixture as a whole begin to gel.
- Using a hand mixer, blend together cream cheese, ⅓ cup raw sugar, and egg yolk in a medium bowl. If using raw sugar, you may need to allow 5–10 minutes for sugar to dissolve, and then stir again.
- Add two drops of Lavender Vitality to the cream cheese mixture and stir. Add more to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Roll out pie dough and cut with biscuit or cookie cutters in desired shapes.
- Cut slits in half of the dough slices for a vent. These will be the lids of the hand pies.
- Spoon equal parts cream cheese and blackberry mixture onto the center of half of the cutout dough. Top with lids and crimp edges with a fork.
- Brush beaten egg lightly over the tops of the pies. If desired, sprinkle lightly with raw sugar for a rustic look.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until crust starts to golden.